Saturday, April 7, 2007

Friday in Kunming


(Run your cursor over the photo to read captions)
Today was a free day and we were so grateful to be able to sleep in a bit.

Mei Lin is doing really well. She's begun to warm up to us all, but still prefers daddy...especially when she's tired. She's showing us more of her personality and laughing a lot more. We've finally tried putting chicken broth in her bottle and she seems to like that. Anything to get her some liquids right now.

We had a lot of shopping to do, so we took a taxi to the bird and flower market. We were trying to find things to give to Mei Lin every year on her "Family Day" and thought it would be nice if they came from her province.

The flower and bird market was fun. Miyah loved all the animals. They were selling fish, birds, bunnies, mice, and turtles. It was as good as a trip to the zoo for her.

We've been getting a LOT of stares in Kunming. Everywhere we go people just stop and stare at us. Many know the word "beautiful" in English (because they use it to describe the things they're trying to sell you I guess) and they comment on how beautiful Megan is. Our guide said she looks like the actress from the movie "American Beauty"...I have no idea who that is! Many people stare at Megan. We need to watch her because the young men are giving a lot of "beautiful" comments. Most everywhere we go we are the only caucasians so we do stick out. Many times they ask if Miyah and Mei Lin are Chinese (I at least understand "Chinese" in Mandarin - "Chung gua ren"). I don't think they understand how two caucasians have Chinese children.

Very few people speak any English in Kunming, but thankfully they're all very friendly and helpful. Whenever we ask for something from housekeeping, they always bring towels. We had similar experiences in Beijing, too. I tried to order room service two nights in Beijing and the woman who answered the phone didn't understand me at all.

We're staying at the Jin Jiang Hotel. The hotel is very nice, but the location isn't the greatest. Our local guide told us it wasn't safe to go right out of the hotel, towards the train station. When we arrived at the hotel there were several beggars in front of the hotel and it's just a dirty part of town. We've driven around Kunming and there are beautiful areas. The climate is always springlike and the flowers are beautiful. The hotel's location makes it difficult to find food and laundry services so it isn't the most convenient, but it's been a great experience seeing another part of China.

I have learned a few useful phrases in Mandarin and I'm very glad I did. Last trip we were in Guangzhou on Shamian Island the entire time where everyone knows how to speak English. This time any little bits of Mandarin are helpful. The only problem is that once you begin speaking Mandarin the Chinese people think you will understand them when they begin speaking back to you. Thankfully I learned how to say "I don't speak Mandarin". Or "I speak Mandarin just a little".

Today Miyah needed to use the restroom while we were at the bird and flower market and so I asked the lady "niao, niao" (like meow only with an "n") while pointing to Miyah and she showed us to a garbage can. The Chinese really do let there children go to the bathroom just about anywhere! We said, "bu", no and she pointed the way to a public restroom. We still had no idea where it was, so I again asked in Mandarin, "Excuse me, may I ask where the bathroom is?" and thankfully they understood me and led us to a hideous public squatty.

The other night Megan and I tried to get take out at a small restaurant down the street from the hotel. For the life of me I could not explain that we wanted the food to go. Elsie has now taught me how to say "to go"...it sounds like "da bao".

One useful phrase has been "bu yao" (pronounced "boo yow"). It means "don't want". Whenever sales people get a little zealous I just say "bu yao" and they immediately understand....they usually laugh and repeat "bu ya". I think I probably say it funny.

This afternoon we couldn't resist another meal at Wei's after a long day of shopping! Miyah and Mei Lin enjoyed the playroom. Miyah hasn't had a lot of kid-things to do on the trip so this was a huge treat!

Don't tell my mom, but later that afternoon, Megan and I went right outside our hotel to do some shopping at an open market. The prices were much better than the bird and flower market.

Tonight I stayed up until 2:30 in the morning to pack all of our things. We leave for Guangzhou in the morning. Somehow we already have two suitcases-full of souvenirs from Beijing and Kunming. Some of that is the warm coats we bought in Beijing....which we've been very glad for. It's actually been cool in Kunming - in the 60's.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi! Just wanted to let you know that I created a facebook group for families who've adopted from the Kunming CWI. Thought you'd like to join!

See: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=292519218767&ref=mf